Home » News » Public Safety
Teen shot in throat hunting coyotes
PETERBOROUGH - A Greenfield teen was shot in the throat in a hunting-related accident Tuesday night, and a Peterborough teen who authorities say shot him is being investigated.
Fish and Game officers responded to a wooded area off Old Dublin Road about 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday after Peterborough police reported that Cody Boutwell, 16, shot his companion Matthew Sandquist, 16, while the boys were hunting coyotes, Fish and Game Lt. Craig Morrocco said Wednesday.
Boutwell was using a .22-caliber rifle, a family heirloom passed down by his grandfather, Fish and Game Maj. Kevin J. Jordan said.
Jordan said Sandquist was hit just above the sternum, in the throat.
He was taken to Monadnock Community Hospital. From there he was flown to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon.
Morrocco said Sandquist was still hospitalized at Dartmouth-Hitchcock on Wednesday and was in stable condition.
"The young man is extremely fortunate it wasn't fatal," Jordan said.
Both youths could be charged with hunting without a license, Morrocco said.
"We're still waiting for reports from the officers who arrived on scene from the Peterborough Police Department," he said.
Fish and Game has learned that Boutwell had not completed a mandatory hunter education course and that both boys were hunting without licenses, a Fish and Game news release said.
"Coyote hunting season is open year-round, but a hunting license is required," Morrocco said.
Boutwell could also be charged with negligent discharge of a firearm while hunting, Morrocco said.
The Hillsborough County Attorney's Office will determine what, if any, charges are brought against Boutwell, he said.
"Anytime there is any gunshot-type injury we always contact the county attorney's office and get them on board," he said.
Morrocco confirmed that Boutwell is the son of David Boutwell Jr., who was convicted in 2008 of shooting his estranged wife and another man in Peterborough in 2007.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 0
- Derry police recover stolen box for worn flags - 0
- Chief to Chef: Charlestown veteran chief leaving for food venture - 0
- Fire Marshal's Office didn't condemn school's historic stage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Slippery slide makes Monday driving tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072