Monarchs sink Pirates, 5-1
The Manchester Monarchs spoiled the home opener for the Portland Pirates, posting a 5-1 win Saturday night.
The Monarchs (3-1-0) play at Springfield on Sunday at 3 p.m. to close a three-games-in-three days road trip.
Manchester will continue its road trip with a return visit to Portland on Wednesday (6:30 p.m.).
Several Monarchs had two-point nights, among them Ray Kaunisto (goal, assist), Justin Azevedo (two assists), David Meckler (goal, assist) and Slava Voynov (two assists).
Manchester goaltender Martin Jones made 32 saves in the win. Jones has played in all four Monarchs games this season but will likely give way to Jeff Zatkoff for today’s game with the Falcons.
The Monarchs led 2-0 after one period on goals from Meckler and Andrei Loktionov.
Meckler scored off a Kaunisto feed at 15:37 and Loktionov netted his first goal of the season at 16:23 with a shot from just outside the right circle.
Manchester extended the lead to 3-0 on a goal from defenseman Jake Muzzin at 6:57 of the second period. It was Muzzin’s first of the season and came off a feed from fellow defenseman Slava Voynov.
Portland got on the board at 9:51 of the second as Colin Long tallied for the first time this season, leaving the score 3-1 after two periods.
Former University of New Hampshire standout Garrett Stafford assisted on the Long goal.
The Pirates skated a five-on-three power play for 42 seconds in the early stages of the third period, but the Monarchs were able to kill it off without harm to keep the two-goal lead intact.
Ray Kaunisto pushed the Manchester lead to 4-1 with a goal at 14:54. It was Kaunisto’s first goal of the season.
Brandon Kozun closed the scoring less than 2:00 later with a goal from the slot, converting an Azevedo pass.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: The loss of trust - 1
- Publisher's Notebook -- Joe McQuaid: From patriotic displays to saving history - 3
- 'The Shamrock' - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor gave police chief a very hot pepper - 0
- Gate City Musings: Officials' tax excuses implausible - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
- Manchester business owners hope to revive pedestrians-only Hanover Street project - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
North Country ATV trail opening on schedule
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840