Monarchs snap losing streak
The Manchester Monarchs made sure a franchise-record five-game losing streak did not slide to six games.
Manchester was a 5-2 winner over the Portland Pirates on the road Friday night.
The Monarchs (4-6-0) will play at Verizon Wireless Arena tonight at 7 p.m., hosting Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for “Canadian Heritage Night.”
Monarchs captain Marc-Andre Cliche broke a 2-2 tie with a goal at the 3:20 mark of the the third period. Cliche banged the puck home from the doorstep when Portland couldn't clear during a scramble.
Manchester's Rich Clune gave his team a two-goal cushion by burying a backhander at the 14:20 mark to make it 4-2.
Monarchs defenseman Jordan Hill capped the game with an empty net goal fired from his own end of the ice at 18:09.
Goalie Jeff Zatkoff made 27 saves to earn the win.
Manchester took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission on first period goals from rookie Linden Vey and Dwight King.
Vey scored on the power play at 7:49, going top-shelf off a Justin Azevedo feed.
King netted his first goal of the season at 12:18. Making his pro debut, Robbie Czarnik posted his first career point with an assist on King's goal.
Portland (3-5-1) came back with two goals in the second period to forge a 2-2 tie and set the stage for the finish.
Ryan Duncan made it 2-1 with a Portland power-play goal at 3:18 and Ashton Rome tied it at 9:18.
After tonight's game with WB-S the Monarchs will be off for almost a week, returning to action Friday at Providence.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
- Wildcats shut down Black Bears again - 1
- U.S. preparing for grueling World Cup - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840