Lawmakers mourn Rep. Sean Cox
New Hampshire lawmakers extend their condolences to the family of state Rep. Sean Cox, 40, a Republican from Andover who died Saturday night. Details surrounding his death are not known.
House Majority Leader D. J. Bettencourt today said he is “shocked and deeply saddened” by the freshman legislator's death.
“Like all who worked with and came to know him, I admired and respected his intelligence, dedication and sincerity,” Bettencourt said in a statement
“I will miss him as a friend who was always quick to offer advice and words of encouragement. New Hampshire will miss him as a public servant and his constituents have lost an outstanding advocate,” he added.
Bettencourt said “there were certainly no health issues that I was aware of and that is a big part of the surprise.” He described Cox as a father who was a “very active” and “very energetic” legislator.
House Speaker Bill O'Brien contacted Cox's wife who confirmed he had died Saturday night, Bettencourt said.
Cox represented District 6 in the New Hampshire House of Representatives. He sat on the Science, Technology and Energy Committee.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 1
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child