Monarchs fall in Worcester
The host Worcester Sharks defeated the Manchester Monarchs 3-1 in AHL action Wednesday night.
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak over Worcester. Manchester is now 19-12-2 for 40 points. The Sharks improved to 15-8-6 for 36 points.
The Monarchs left Worcester bound for Albany, where they will face the Devils Friday night at 7 p.m.
After a scoreless first period, Worcester scored twice in the second frame to post a 2-0 lead.
Nathan Moon scored at 14:48, re-directing a Sean Sullivan shot past Jeff Zatkoff.
Matt Pelech made it 2-0 at 18:06, scoring off a faceoff in the Manchester zone.
Curt Gogol pushed the Sharks lead to 3-0 with a goal at 6:25 of the third period.
The Monarchs broke Harri Sateri’s shutout bid at 15:16 of the third period on a shorthanded goal from Dwight King.
Marc-Andre Cliche sent King ahead on a breakaway and King finished for his fifth goal of the season but it was not enough to spark the Monarchs the rest of the way on the comeback trail.
Manchester will host Providence Saturday night at Verizon Wireless Arena at 7 p.m. for the annual New Year’s Eve game, featuring an indoor fireworks show after the game.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 1
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 35
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840