Monarchs drop second straight to IceCaps
For the second straight night, the Manchester Monarchs fell to the St. John’s IceCaps in Newfoundland.
John Albert’s goal in the final minute of the third period gave the IceCaps a 3-2 win over Manchester Saturday and a three-point cushion in the race for first place in the AHL’s Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference. St. John’s has 47 points and has played four fewer games than the Monarchs.
On Friday, St. John’s outskated Manchester, 4-2.
Manchester took a 1-0 lead 15 minutes into Saturday’s game when Rob Mignardi scored from assists off the sticks of Marc-Andre Cliche and Jordan Nolan.
The lead was short-lived, however, as St. John’s knotted the game at 1-1 in the middle period and went ahead 2-1 in the third. Spencer Machacek netted the equalizer one minute into the second, and Jason Gregoire put the IceCaps on top five minutes into the third.
Dwight King scored his seventh goal of the season at 17:29 of the third to tie the game at 2-2. Brandon Kozun and Nolan assisted.
Monarch’s goaltender Martin Jones made 33 saves in the game, but was unable to foil Albert as time dwindled. His counterpart, David Aebischer faced just 16 shots and turned aside 14 of them.
St. John’s outshot Manchester 36-16.
Manchester is 21-15-0-2 after 38 games.
The Monarchs return host Bridgeport Saturday at the Verizon Wireless Arena at 7 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840