Home » Opinion » Editorials
Joseph W. McQuaid: Crisis for America
This newspaper has endorsed Newt Gingrich in Tuesday’s Primary for one simple and important reason. America is at a very dangerous point, and the current economic hole we are in is just part of the problem.
Former Speaker Gingrich is the one candidate who has the experience, the conservative record, and the courage and passion to offer and articulate the bold ideas and leadership that are going to be needed to restore the American dream.
Conventional “main street Republican” wisdom holds that former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney has the “best chance” to defeat President Obama.
On the contrary, Romney may be the WORST candidate. For one thing, his claimed record as a fiscally conservative governor is as much of a sham as his flipflops on social issues.
He claims to have cut a $3 billion budget deficit without raising taxes. In fact, the deficit was one-third that size, and this supposed friend to business cut it by raising corporate taxes, along with taxes on New Hampshire commuters, by millions of dollars.
Romney is a nice, rich man with a tin ear (he may or may not release his income taxes) and plenty of pals in the Republican in-crowd. Gingrich is a tough, smart Reagan conservative who brought his party out of 40 years in the wilderness, reformed welfare, and balanced the federal budget.
Romney would be a disaster as the nominee. Gingrich would make an outstanding President at a time of crisis for America.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Amnesty? Garcia is against it - 84
- Newt's silence: Hemingway's missing endorsement - 7
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 2
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 76
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown