Home » Opinion » Editorials
Joseph W. McQuaid: Crisis for America
This newspaper has endorsed Newt Gingrich in Tuesday’s Primary for one simple and important reason. America is at a very dangerous point, and the current economic hole we are in is just part of the problem.
Former Speaker Gingrich is the one candidate who has the experience, the conservative record, and the courage and passion to offer and articulate the bold ideas and leadership that are going to be needed to restore the American dream.
Conventional “main street Republican” wisdom holds that former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney has the “best chance” to defeat President Obama.
On the contrary, Romney may be the WORST candidate. For one thing, his claimed record as a fiscally conservative governor is as much of a sham as his flipflops on social issues.
He claims to have cut a $3 billion budget deficit without raising taxes. In fact, the deficit was one-third that size, and this supposed friend to business cut it by raising corporate taxes, along with taxes on New Hampshire commuters, by millions of dollars.
Romney is a nice, rich man with a tin ear (he may or may not release his income taxes) and plenty of pals in the Republican in-crowd. Gingrich is a tough, smart Reagan conservative who brought his party out of 40 years in the wilderness, reformed welfare, and balanced the federal budget.
Romney would be a disaster as the nominee. Gingrich would make an outstanding President at a time of crisis for America.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Surprise, surprise: Obamacare funds abortions - 59
- Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over - 8
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 28
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 2
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 1
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over