Home » Opinion » Editorials
Joseph W. McQuaid: Crisis for America
This newspaper has endorsed Newt Gingrich in Tuesday’s Primary for one simple and important reason. America is at a very dangerous point, and the current economic hole we are in is just part of the problem.
Former Speaker Gingrich is the one candidate who has the experience, the conservative record, and the courage and passion to offer and articulate the bold ideas and leadership that are going to be needed to restore the American dream.
Conventional “main street Republican” wisdom holds that former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney has the “best chance” to defeat President Obama.
On the contrary, Romney may be the WORST candidate. For one thing, his claimed record as a fiscally conservative governor is as much of a sham as his flipflops on social issues.
He claims to have cut a $3 billion budget deficit without raising taxes. In fact, the deficit was one-third that size, and this supposed friend to business cut it by raising corporate taxes, along with taxes on New Hampshire commuters, by millions of dollars.
Romney is a nice, rich man with a tin ear (he may or may not release his income taxes) and plenty of pals in the Republican in-crowd. Gingrich is a tough, smart Reagan conservative who brought his party out of 40 years in the wilderness, reformed welfare, and balanced the federal budget.
Romney would be a disaster as the nominee. Gingrich would make an outstanding President at a time of crisis for America.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 39
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Driver was trying to kill himself