Home » Opinion » Editorials
Now it’s New Hampshire’s turn to decide
THE POLLSTERS and pundits have already told us what is going to happen today. Mitt Romney is going to swamp all comers and, we have been told over and over, this will be because someone has decided he is the only Republican who can beat Barack Obama.
But now it’s New Hampshire’s turn, and New Hampshire has this funny little habit of turning conventional wisdom on its head and deciding things for itself.
Voters here may decide that Newt Gingrich was right on Sunday to call Romney’s claims of being a non-politician “pious baloney.”
Romney claimed that he didn’t move to Massachusetts “to begin a political career, running time and time again.” But that is exactly what Romney did, running for senator in 1994, governor in 2002, and running non-stop for President since 2006.
Voters here may decide that Jon Huntsman was right to smack Romney’s cheap shot against Huntsman for having served his country as U.S. ambassador to China. Romney suggested such service was anti-Republican, but his own big local supporter, Judd Gregg, had accepted just such service before backing out of becoming Obama’s commerce secretary. And what did Romney think of Huntsman’s own two sons, serving their country in the U.S. Navy?
Voters may even decide that Romney’s promise to let “the generals” tell him when to start or leave a war is not what they expect from a commander-in-chief.
The pollsters and pundits have it all figured out. But now it’s New Hampshire’s turn.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 2
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 76
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 58
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 80
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- West Lebanon man accused of secretly recording child - 0
- Former EMT receives probation for theft of fentanyl - 0
- Week of NH debates kicks off - 0
- Sanders talks middle class revivial at Labor Day breakfast - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- Phils' Hamels, three relievers no-hit Braves; Papelbon closes it out - 0
Amnesty? Garcia is against it
NH's teen pregnancy still lowest nationwide
George Will: Paul Ryan's way forward