Newmarket school locked down after bullet found in locker room
NEWMARKET - The junior/senior high school was put into a lockdown on Thursday afternoon when a bullet was found in the boys’ locker room.
Superintendent James Hayes said a single .22 caliber bullet was found underneath a bench in the locker room and the school was put into a “shelter in place” lockdown while police searched lockers, classrooms, backpacks and purses.
“They came up without any other issues and we were able to complete that before school dismissed around 2:30,” Hayes said.
He said a student acknowledged he was responsible for the bullet being there, and said it was purely an accident.
He had been at target practice the night before and happened to have a bullet in his pocket.
Hayes said there does not appear to be any malicious intent behind it, but the incident is still being investigated.
“Any kind of weapon or threat is a concern for us and we look at it seriously and decide the proper way to handle it,” Hayes said.
Parents were notified of the lock-down via an “AlertNOW” phone call on Thursday evening, Hayes said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Plymouth State speaker tells grads to 'Become agents of change' - 0
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 2
- Ayotte tells NEC graduates to be passionate about their work - 1
- Antioch University awards 145 degrees - 0
- Message to Nashua Community College grads: find strength - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112