Newmarket school locked down after bullet found in locker room
NEWMARKET - The junior/senior high school was put into a lockdown on Thursday afternoon when a bullet was found in the boys’ locker room.
Superintendent James Hayes said a single .22 caliber bullet was found underneath a bench in the locker room and the school was put into a “shelter in place” lockdown while police searched lockers, classrooms, backpacks and purses.
“They came up without any other issues and we were able to complete that before school dismissed around 2:30,” Hayes said.
He said a student acknowledged he was responsible for the bullet being there, and said it was purely an accident.
He had been at target practice the night before and happened to have a bullet in his pocket.
Hayes said there does not appear to be any malicious intent behind it, but the incident is still being investigated.
“Any kind of weapon or threat is a concern for us and we look at it seriously and decide the proper way to handle it,” Hayes said.
Parents were notified of the lock-down via an “AlertNOW” phone call on Thursday evening, Hayes said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Up late with Shaheen: Misplaced Senate priorities - 17
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 3
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 6
- Electronic benefits: Sin and the EBT card - 2
- ‘Legislative cocaine:’ Gambling and state revenue - 3
- Minimum wages: Maximum spin - 14
- A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth - 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents