action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:0
All Sections
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left. | Register | Sign In


Dog alerts homeowner to fire

ALTON — Wood stove ashes that rekindled caused a fire that destroyed a small home early Tuesday, though the home&#';s owner was saved by his dog, Assistant Fire Chief Edward Consentino said.

Consentino said Wayne Duquette, the owner of the home at 185 Alton Shores Road, emptied his wood stove ashes into a plastic bucket and placed the bucket on a wooden porch. During the night, the ashes rekindled, he said.

&#';They burned right through the bucket and caught the porch on fire,&#'; Consentino said.

The fire, which was reported shortly about 12:45 a.m. Tuesday, quickly spread through the rest of the house, which was converted to a full-time residence from a summer camp, he said.

&#';The house is totaled,&#'; he said.

Consentino said Duquette&#';s smoke alarm did not work and that Duquette&#';s dog woke him up.

&#';The dog actually saved his life,&#'; he said.

There were no injuries, but Consentino said wood stove ashes should never be placed in a plastic bucket.

&#';Always use a metal pail when you empty them out, and take them to an area away from your home and do not place them on a wooden porch,&#'; he said. &#';A small breeze can get those ashes burning again.&#';

action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:88
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:64
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:2
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:

        

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety


NH Angle - Public Safety