Pierce passes Bird, Celtics sting Hornets
Paul Pierce passed Larry Bird on the Boston Celtics’ all-time scoring list and finished with 15 points, eight rebounds and nine assists in a 94-84 victory over the visiting Charlotte Bobcats on Tuesday.
Kevin Garnett collected 22 points and seven rebounds and Rajon Rondo added 10 points and 14 assists for the Celtics, who have won five straight and nine of 10.
Pierce came into the night needing 10 points to eclipse Bird and move into second place on the Boston list. Perhaps a tad nervous, the perennial All-Star struggled to seven points on 3-of-10 shooting in the first half, including 0-of-5 from beyond the arc as he tried to get the last three points in one bucket.
He did not have to wait long after the break, taking a pass from Rondo on the right wing and burying a 3-pointer. Pierce raised his arms and offered the crowd a fist pump in celebration.
Pierce (21,797) now trails only John Havlicek (26,395) on the franchise career scoring list.
The Celtics took over in the fourth quarter, beginning the frame with a 13-2 run to push the lead to 82-64. Garnett scored six points during the burst and Boston coasted to the finish.
Reggie Williams scored 21 points and Derrick Brown added 20 off the bench for Charlotte, which has dropped 12 straight.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 3
- Updated: Winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla.; 2, $1M tickets sold in NH - 0
- No more Winni whoppers: Fishing Derby winner will have to take lie detector test - 11
- Learning the way of the gun in Wakefield - 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
- Supreme Court says Manchester man who lost towed car while hospitalized can sue - 4
- Powerball jackpot: Another chance at the (your) golden ticket - 1
- Endowment established for Milford support organization Bridges - 0
- Flags to fly at half-staff Wednesday and Friday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Moving Wall in Haverhill asks us to remember
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840