Memorial Bridge lowered for last time, will be floated to Port Authority tonight
PORTSMOUTH - The lift span of the Memorial Bridge was lowered onto the barge “Cape Cod” this afternoon.
New Hampshire Department of Transportation officials said the span will be floated up river to the Port Authority pier to be secured between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. this evening. It will likely be floated down to Massachusetts tomorrow.
Large crowds gathered at Prescott Park and whooped and hollered as a warning whistle announced the final descent of the approximately 90-year-old span on Wednesday afternoon.
Portsmouth police were handling traffic in the parking lot closest to the bridge because of the crowds.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired - 6
- Speedway, NH casino called a natural fit, track's GM says - 8
- Federal data shows which doctors reap Medicare millions - 3
- Privacy foremost at hearing on NH bill to restrict government spying, commercial use of drones - 18
- Six months later, Abigail's disappearance still a mystery - 1
- Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist - 5
- Judge issues no ruling on county attorney's suspension - 4
- Retired judge reprimanded for sexist remarks - 0
- Manchester officer cleared in domestic assault is subject of probe - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Determined’ Bruins even series - 0
- Fire destroys historic Claremont convent - 0
- Minor injury in crash at Concord airport - 0
- Salem man faces DWI charge after Manchester crash - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'