Memorial Bridge lowered for last time, will be floated to Port Authority tonight
PORTSMOUTH - The lift span of the Memorial Bridge was lowered onto the barge “Cape Cod” this afternoon.
New Hampshire Department of Transportation officials said the span will be floated up river to the Port Authority pier to be secured between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. this evening. It will likely be floated down to Massachusetts tomorrow.
Large crowds gathered at Prescott Park and whooped and hollered as a warning whistle announced the final descent of the approximately 90-year-old span on Wednesday afternoon.
Portsmouth police were handling traffic in the parking lot closest to the bridge because of the crowds.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- AG says Rockingham County attorney probe 'substantially complete' - 0
- Nashua mayor says finance committee lacked authority to table buying dump trucks - 0
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 2
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief