Monarchs avoid shutout in Springfield ... barely
The Manchester Monarchs' scoring woes continued for a second straight day.
The Monarchs, beaten 4-1 on Saturday, were held scoreless until Robbie Czarnik's goal with 1:08 remaining and lost, 5-1, to the host Springfield Falcons Sunday afternoon in AHL play.
The Falcons scored one in the first and two in each of the second and third periods to build a 5-0 lead. Cam Atkinson, Alexandre Giroux and Wade MacLeod all had a goal and an assist for Springfield (23-23-4) while Andrew Joudrey and Matt Calvert had single tallies.
Czarnik broke the shutout bid by Paul Dainton (24 saves) when he scored a power-play goal. David Kolomatis and Linden Vey were credited with assists on the goal for the Monarchs (28-23-2).
Jeff Zatkoff played all 60 minutes in the Manchester goal, making 20 saves on 25 shots. Manchester was 1-for-6 on the power play while Springfield was 0-for-4.
The loss is the second straight for the Monarchs, who lost to the Connecticut Whale on Saturday night.
Manchester travels to Glens Falls, N.Y. for a 7 p.m. game against Adirondack on Friday night before returning home for a Saturday evening game against Hershey at the Verizon.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Divisions still under discussion - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats' fortunes at Maine may rest with the big guys - 0
- Monarchs continue their battle of the Atlantic - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 1
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
- Reams threatens to sue county commissioners - 0
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 0
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 0
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840