Home » News » Public Safety
Officials: Another city fire started by cigarette
MANCHESTER — Fire officials say improper disposal of cigarettes started a fire at a South Maple Street apartment building early Saturday morning.
It was the third fire in the city in as many days, and the second caused by discarded smoking materials.
Three families were left homeless by Saturday's fire at 94 South Maple St., which was reported just before 3 a.m. Everyone was out of the building when firefighters arrived.
Fire investigator Peter Lennon said the structure is a two-family apartment building but had an “illegal basement apartment” as well.
Lennon said the fire started on a second-floor balcony and traveled up the outside of the building to the roof. The building is currently uninhabitable because firefighters had to open up the roof to extinguish the fire, he said.
District Chief Robert Corbeil said residents apparently disposed of cigarettes in a plastic bucket on the balcony, and the material caught fire.
“It starts smoldering and all you need is a little bit of wind,” he said. “It's just a recipe for disaster.”
The American Red Cross was assisting one family with shelter, and the other two were staying with friends or relatives, Lennon said.
A discarded cigarette was also the cause of a four-alarm fire that destroyed a condominium building at Deer Haven Preserve on Eastern Avenue early Thursday morning, according to officials. The cigarette was discarded outside the building, starting a fire, and the flames ignited the vinyl siding.
Firefighters had to rescue some residents from balconies in that fire; three firefighters suffered minor injuries and one resident was treated for smoke inhalation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty