Home » News » Public Safety
Woodstove fire damages Albany home
ALBANY — Wood piled too close to a woodstove apparently was the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a home on Bald Hill Road Saturday afternoon.
When firefighters arrived, it was not immediately clear whether anyone was inside the smoke-filled home, so they searched the structure to make sure no one was trapped inside, according to Stephen Solomon, chief of Conway Fire Department, which provides fire services for the town.
Albany Selectman Jack Rose, who lives a few streets away, visited the fire scene Saturday. He said fire officials told him a woodpile was stacked too close to a woodstove and apparently caught fire.
Rose said the resident, Nancy Drew, plans to stay with her daughter, who lives in Conway.
“It's a total loss,” he said. “It's a shame, because now she's out of a place to live.”
The fire was reported shortly before 1 p.m.
Chief Solomon said the age and construction of the pre-1900, two-story home, as well as the “volume of building contents,” made the fire difficult to extinguish. It took about an hour to bring the fire under control, and fire crews remained at the scene until after 4 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 0
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 1
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Giving Max effort for the Wildcats - 0
School's out for voters
Trump fired up over NH mailer