Home » News » Public Safety
Woodstove fire damages Albany home
ALBANY — Wood piled too close to a woodstove apparently was the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a home on Bald Hill Road Saturday afternoon.
When firefighters arrived, it was not immediately clear whether anyone was inside the smoke-filled home, so they searched the structure to make sure no one was trapped inside, according to Stephen Solomon, chief of Conway Fire Department, which provides fire services for the town.
Albany Selectman Jack Rose, who lives a few streets away, visited the fire scene Saturday. He said fire officials told him a woodpile was stacked too close to a woodstove and apparently caught fire.
Rose said the resident, Nancy Drew, plans to stay with her daughter, who lives in Conway.
“It's a total loss,” he said. “It's a shame, because now she's out of a place to live.”
The fire was reported shortly before 1 p.m.
Chief Solomon said the age and construction of the pre-1900, two-story home, as well as the “volume of building contents,” made the fire difficult to extinguish. It took about an hour to bring the fire under control, and fire crews remained at the scene until after 4 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change