Historic World Cup win streak ends for NH's Hannah Kearney
Hannah Kearney's win streak is over.
The Hanover High grad and Olympic champ placed fourth in an FIS World Cup dual moguls semifinal Sunday in Naeba, Japan, thus ending her 16-event streak. Canada's Audrey Robichaud won the event, toppling Aiko Uemura of Japan in the finals.
On Saturday, Kearney defeated the field by 1.25 points in Naeba, the site of her first World Cup in 2004. The 16 straight wins broke Ingemar Stenmark's record of 14 straight World Cup skiing wins, established in the giant slalom over 30 years ago.
Kearney broke the record last week in China and extended it Saturday in Naeba.
“This week was about enjoying skiing,” Kearney told ussskiteam.com. “If I allow the pressure of continuing a streak or trying to beat the people who are trying to beat me, I ski more tensely,” she said. “This week I tried to have fun and that is what allowed me to do a better mute grab, because it's fun to do tricks.”
Kearney's winning streak started last January in Lake Placid, N.Y.
“I really like the moguls here,” said Kearney of Naeba. “They're deep and snowy and it was fun to ski.”
In recalling her first World Cup win in 2004, Kearney said “I even got to walk past the pay phone that I remember calling my parents on and waking them up in the middle of the night to tell them that I'd won.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
- Soccer kings' dominance unparalleled - 0
- (No heading) - 0
- UPDATED: Hopkinton High lacrosse coach Doug Maynard dies - 0
- Windham field hockey prevails in overtime - 0
- Allen Lessels UNH Notebook: And now, no room for error - 0
- High School Roundup - 0
- Ian Clark's Corner Kicks: Hanover boys are on a roll - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840