Detroit Red Wings waive former UNH star Conklin
The Detroit Red Wings on Monday put former University of New Hampshire star Ty Conklin on waivers, making room for the return of No. 1 goalie Jimmy Howard.
Howard, who has missed the last eight games with a broken right index finger, will start tonight in Chicago, according to the Detroit News.
Joey MacDonald, who has won six straight, has earned the Wings' backup spot, according to the newspaper.
“Ty knows Joey has been a great story for us,” said Wings GM Ken Holland. “And I still think Ty's got some good hockey in him. He's played some good games for us.”
If Conklin is left unclaimed by today, he will be sent to Grand Rapids of the American Hockey League. Conklin is 3-5-0 with a .878 save percentage and 3.40 goals-against average in 11 games this season.
He has not played since Feb. 4.
READER COMMENTS: 46
- Ignorance abounds: Obamacare and small businesses - 25
- Mayor development: Growth and a Manchester city office - 1
- Page One Editorial: Control of NH’s future: Today’s House vote will be one for the ages - 17
- Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands - 9
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 27
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840