Home » News » Public Safety
Man hurt after light bulb ignites garage blaze
MANCHESTER — A man suffered minor injuries Tuesday in a fire that destroyed his car and garage, District Fire Chief Al Poulin said.
Poulin said Jose Nunez was changing a fuel pump on his car about 8 p.m. Tuesday when he dropped an unprotected light on gasoline that had leaked on the floor. The bulb broke and caught the gas on fire, which spread to the car, the garage and to the 287 Somerville St. home, Poulin said.
Nunez was taken to Elliot Hospital, where he was treated for minor injuries to his hands and released, Poulin said. The car and garage were destroyed. The house had significant burns to one side but is still inhabitable, he said.
“Anytime you use any type of light near any type of flammable liquid, it should be explosion-proof,” he said, referring to lights that have cages around bulbs.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'