Home » Opinion » Editorials
50 years after Glenn: Let's hear it for space exploration
Political foes and news media gave Newt Gingrich grief when he traced a vision for an American colony on the moon. But we heard no one dissing former astronaut John Glenn when, on the 50th anniversary of his orbital flight, he decried the downsizing in space exploration.
Glenn, a Democrat, blamed space woes not on the Obama administration, but on George W. Bush's time. There is apparently no expiration date on blaming Bush, for anything and everything.
There was merit to what Gingrich proposed. Not suggesting burning a huge new hole in the budget, he was instead outlining a vision that would be encouraged by the national government but led by entrepreneurs and adventurers, much as in the early days of manned flight.
But there would be a place, too, for government, i.e., public support for a bold space initiative. There are national security implications to space exploration.
And there is much to be said for a nation's looking to its future as a way to inspire itself and bring on the kinds of innovation that came when Glenn, Alan B. Shepard Jr., and other early astronauts blazed a trail in the heavens.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth, PSU hit road for tourneys - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council