Home » Opinion » Editorials
50 years after Glenn: Let's hear it for space exploration
Political foes and news media gave Newt Gingrich grief when he traced a vision for an American colony on the moon. But we heard no one dissing former astronaut John Glenn when, on the 50th anniversary of his orbital flight, he decried the downsizing in space exploration.
Glenn, a Democrat, blamed space woes not on the Obama administration, but on George W. Bush's time. There is apparently no expiration date on blaming Bush, for anything and everything.
There was merit to what Gingrich proposed. Not suggesting burning a huge new hole in the budget, he was instead outlining a vision that would be encouraged by the national government but led by entrepreneurs and adventurers, much as in the early days of manned flight.
But there would be a place, too, for government, i.e., public support for a bold space initiative. There are national security implications to space exploration.
And there is much to be said for a nation's looking to its future as a way to inspire itself and bring on the kinds of innovation that came when Glenn, Alan B. Shepard Jr., and other early astronauts blazed a trail in the heavens.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 8
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 22
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'