Home » Opinion » Editorials
50 years after Glenn: Let's hear it for space exploration
Political foes and news media gave Newt Gingrich grief when he traced a vision for an American colony on the moon. But we heard no one dissing former astronaut John Glenn when, on the 50th anniversary of his orbital flight, he decried the downsizing in space exploration.
Glenn, a Democrat, blamed space woes not on the Obama administration, but on George W. Bush's time. There is apparently no expiration date on blaming Bush, for anything and everything.
There was merit to what Gingrich proposed. Not suggesting burning a huge new hole in the budget, he was instead outlining a vision that would be encouraged by the national government but led by entrepreneurs and adventurers, much as in the early days of manned flight.
But there would be a place, too, for government, i.e., public support for a bold space initiative. There are national security implications to space exploration.
And there is much to be said for a nation's looking to its future as a way to inspire itself and bring on the kinds of innovation that came when Glenn, Alan B. Shepard Jr., and other early astronauts blazed a trail in the heavens.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 46
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 4
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child