Home » Opinion » Editorials
What's in a name? Manchester may never know
Manchester's aldermen should take another look at the potential for naming rights for the city's new municpal complex taking shape on Valley Street.
“It's the people's complex,” huffed Alderman-at-Large Dan O'Neil the other night in voting against naming rights.
“I'm not in favor of making it the McDonald's police station or the Burger King public works building,” he said.
O'Neil is half right. It is the people's complex. And with the people's taxes climbing, the people would like to see a little outside-the-box thinking from their elected officials.
There may be some names that are just not right for certain public buildings or equipment. But who is to say that there isn't some innovative company out there, be it mobile communications or safety equipment maker or such, that would be an acceptable fit for this new complex?
Aldermen Bill Shea and Phil Greazzo voted for a request for proposals. Good for them. We hope they can persuade others to at least have a look.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 19
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 10
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Low turnout seen in early Lakes Region polling - 0
- Goffstown residents slow to vote so far - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Voting is not just for adults in Windham - 0
- Voter turnout is low but steady in Bedford - 0
- Steady voter turnout in Amherst - 0
- Due to snow forecast, Farmington decides to wait a week to decide on town issues - 0
- AG petitions judge to remove Rockingham County attorney from office - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus