Home » Opinion » Editorials
What's in a name? Manchester may never know
Manchester's aldermen should take another look at the potential for naming rights for the city's new municpal complex taking shape on Valley Street.
“It's the people's complex,” huffed Alderman-at-Large Dan O'Neil the other night in voting against naming rights.
“I'm not in favor of making it the McDonald's police station or the Burger King public works building,” he said.
O'Neil is half right. It is the people's complex. And with the people's taxes climbing, the people would like to see a little outside-the-box thinking from their elected officials.
There may be some names that are just not right for certain public buildings or equipment. But who is to say that there isn't some innovative company out there, be it mobile communications or safety equipment maker or such, that would be an acceptable fit for this new complex?
Aldermen Bill Shea and Phil Greazzo voted for a request for proposals. Good for them. We hope they can persuade others to at least have a look.
READER COMMENTS: 29
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 41
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 2
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 21
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- 2 Manchester health service groups announce merger - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer