Home » Opinion » Editorials
What's in a name? Manchester may never know
Manchester's aldermen should take another look at the potential for naming rights for the city's new municpal complex taking shape on Valley Street.
“It's the people's complex,” huffed Alderman-at-Large Dan O'Neil the other night in voting against naming rights.
“I'm not in favor of making it the McDonald's police station or the Burger King public works building,” he said.
O'Neil is half right. It is the people's complex. And with the people's taxes climbing, the people would like to see a little outside-the-box thinking from their elected officials.
There may be some names that are just not right for certain public buildings or equipment. But who is to say that there isn't some innovative company out there, be it mobile communications or safety equipment maker or such, that would be an acceptable fit for this new complex?
Aldermen Bill Shea and Phil Greazzo voted for a request for proposals. Good for them. We hope they can persuade others to at least have a look.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- John Stossel: Sublet my people go - 0
- Another View: A voter ID compromise with which we all can live - 15
- George Will: The NLRB’s school-door stand - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions