Home » News » Public Safety
Fire damages triple-decker in Manchester's West Side
MANCHESTER — Wind-whipped flames tore through part of a triple-decker in the West Side on Saturday night.
The two-alarm fire at 485 Dubuque St. displaced about a dozen residents, according to District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
“About 25 percent of the third floor was totally burned out,” Poulin said. The second floor sustained minor fire damage.
Poulin said first-arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire at the rear of the building, located north of Amory Street. The fire, reported at 9:20 p.m., took nearly an hour to bring under control.
Poulin said the second alarm was called because of the windy conditions and the close proximity to other buildings. The fire extended into the walls and roof, he said.
The cause remained under investigation, and no injuries were reported.
Poulin said firefighters experienced an estimated 30-second delay in responding because they received a wrong address of 48 Dubuque St.
He didn't know how many residents were home at the time of the fire, but all escaped safely.
Robert Berthiaume, who lives on nearby Amory Street, watched as firefighters tamed the flames.
“They had heavy flames coming up from the wind,” he said. “The wind kept igniting it.”
He said firefighters working in chilly conditions got a handle on the flames, then “all of a sudden the flames came up and shot up.”
Watching the firefighters, he said, “A lot of danger up there.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072