Home » News » Public Safety
Fire damages triple-decker in Manchester's West Side
A firefighter works from a deck to put out a fire Saturday night in a three-story apartment building at 485 Dubuque St. on Manchester's West Side. (Jeffrey Hastings)
MANCHESTER — Wind-whipped flames tore through part of a triple-decker in the West Side on Saturday night.
The two-alarm fire at 485 Dubuque St. displaced about a dozen residents, according to District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
“About 25 percent of the third floor was totally burned out,” Poulin said. The second floor sustained minor fire damage.
Poulin said first-arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire at the rear of the building, located north of Amory Street. The fire, reported at 9:20 p.m., took nearly an hour to bring under control.
Poulin said the second alarm was called because of the windy conditions and the close proximity to other buildings. The fire extended into the walls and roof, he said.
The cause remained under investigation, and no injuries were reported.
Poulin said firefighters experienced an estimated 30-second delay in responding because they received a wrong address of 48 Dubuque St.
He didn't know how many residents were home at the time of the fire, but all escaped safely.
Robert Berthiaume, who lives on nearby Amory Street, watched as firefighters tamed the flames.
“They had heavy flames coming up from the wind,” he said. “The wind kept igniting it.”
He said firefighters working in chilly conditions got a handle on the flames, then “all of a sudden the flames came up and shot up.”
Watching the firefighters, he said, “A lot of danger up there.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Franklin man and woman facing charge of attempted prostitution of a minor - 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 2
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 3
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection