Home » News » Public Safety
Fire damages triple-decker in Manchester's West Side
A firefighter works from a deck to put out a fire Saturday night in a three-story apartment building at 485 Dubuque St. on Manchester's West Side. (Jeffrey Hastings)
MANCHESTER — Wind-whipped flames tore through part of a triple-decker in the West Side on Saturday night.
The two-alarm fire at 485 Dubuque St. displaced about a dozen residents, according to District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
“About 25 percent of the third floor was totally burned out,” Poulin said. The second floor sustained minor fire damage.
Poulin said first-arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire at the rear of the building, located north of Amory Street. The fire, reported at 9:20 p.m., took nearly an hour to bring under control.
Poulin said the second alarm was called because of the windy conditions and the close proximity to other buildings. The fire extended into the walls and roof, he said.
The cause remained under investigation, and no injuries were reported.
Poulin said firefighters experienced an estimated 30-second delay in responding because they received a wrong address of 48 Dubuque St.
He didn't know how many residents were home at the time of the fire, but all escaped safely.
Robert Berthiaume, who lives on nearby Amory Street, watched as firefighters tamed the flames.
“They had heavy flames coming up from the wind,” he said. “The wind kept igniting it.”
He said firefighters working in chilly conditions got a handle on the flames, then “all of a sudden the flames came up and shot up.”
Watching the firefighters, he said, “A lot of danger up there.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test