Home » News » Public Safety
Fire damages triple-decker in Manchester's West Side
A firefighter works from a deck to put out a fire Saturday night in a three-story apartment building at 485 Dubuque St. on Manchester's West Side. (Jeffrey Hastings)
MANCHESTER — Wind-whipped flames tore through part of a triple-decker in the West Side on Saturday night.
The two-alarm fire at 485 Dubuque St. displaced about a dozen residents, according to District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
“About 25 percent of the third floor was totally burned out,” Poulin said. The second floor sustained minor fire damage.
Poulin said first-arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire at the rear of the building, located north of Amory Street. The fire, reported at 9:20 p.m., took nearly an hour to bring under control.
Poulin said the second alarm was called because of the windy conditions and the close proximity to other buildings. The fire extended into the walls and roof, he said.
The cause remained under investigation, and no injuries were reported.
Poulin said firefighters experienced an estimated 30-second delay in responding because they received a wrong address of 48 Dubuque St.
He didn't know how many residents were home at the time of the fire, but all escaped safely.
Robert Berthiaume, who lives on nearby Amory Street, watched as firefighters tamed the flames.
“They had heavy flames coming up from the wind,” he said. “The wind kept igniting it.”
He said firefighters working in chilly conditions got a handle on the flames, then “all of a sudden the flames came up and shot up.”
Watching the firefighters, he said, “A lot of danger up there.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 7
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 5
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride