Home » News » Public Safety
Fire damages triple-decker in Manchester's West Side
A firefighter works from a deck to put out a fire Saturday night in a three-story apartment building at 485 Dubuque St. on Manchester's West Side. (Jeffrey Hastings)
MANCHESTER — Wind-whipped flames tore through part of a triple-decker in the West Side on Saturday night.
The two-alarm fire at 485 Dubuque St. displaced about a dozen residents, according to District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
“About 25 percent of the third floor was totally burned out,” Poulin said. The second floor sustained minor fire damage.
Poulin said first-arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire at the rear of the building, located north of Amory Street. The fire, reported at 9:20 p.m., took nearly an hour to bring under control.
Poulin said the second alarm was called because of the windy conditions and the close proximity to other buildings. The fire extended into the walls and roof, he said.
The cause remained under investigation, and no injuries were reported.
Poulin said firefighters experienced an estimated 30-second delay in responding because they received a wrong address of 48 Dubuque St.
He didn't know how many residents were home at the time of the fire, but all escaped safely.
Robert Berthiaume, who lives on nearby Amory Street, watched as firefighters tamed the flames.
“They had heavy flames coming up from the wind,” he said. “The wind kept igniting it.”
He said firefighters working in chilly conditions got a handle on the flames, then “all of a sudden the flames came up and shot up.”
Watching the firefighters, he said, “A lot of danger up there.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax