Home » Opinion » Editorials
Payroll ax: What about the lockbox?
President Obama portrays the payroll tax holiday, now extended through the end of the year, as a tax cut that puts much-needed money in the pockets of working Americans. How odd. Normally, Democrats would frame a reduction in the payroll tax, which directly funds Social Security, as a scheme to defund Social Security.
At least in theory, payroll tax money goes into the so-called Social Security Trust Fund. The payroll tax deal just denied that trust fund billions of dollars, which will have to be replaced with general taxation or borrowed money. So why doesn't Obama get criticized by the mainstream media for picking Al Gore's lockbox?
Because he's a Democrat, for one. Also because the Social Security Trust Fund is a fiction. There is no lockbox. It's all just a game of political make believe.
That is worth remembering the next time Social Security is debated. When Republicans propose allowing people to invest a few percentage points of their Social Security taxes in retirement accounts of their own choosing, Democrats scream that they're destroying Social Security. Then Democrats go and propose letting people spend a few percentage points of their Social Security taxes on anything at all.
At least they've acknowledged that tax cuts help the economy, even if they're cutting the wrong taxes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions