Home » Opinion » Editorials
Fantasy football: Will County Atty. Hogan punt?
Hillsborough County Attorney Dennis Hogan declines to explain the current work status of one of his assistant prosecutors, claiming it is a “personnel'' matter.
Indeed it is. But the personnel in question here may be County Atty. Hogan, depending on how he handles the matter of his assistant's use of his public office and equipment to oversee a fantasy football league.
It is Hogan who serves the people of the county by means of his election to public office. It is those voters who will ultimately decide whether his handling of that office is worthy of rehiring him.
Assistant attorney Ross McLeod now has his own attorney, who acknowledges his client's football league involvement. (Since there is an email paper trail with McLeod's name and office address on it, that's probably wise.) But the attorney for the attorney says if this is grounds for dismissal, he would suggest that “half of America is in danger of losing jobs.''
No doubt. But “half of America'' isn't working for the public as a prosecutor.
County Atty. Hogan says the Attorney General's Office is investigating the matter. That's fine. But it will remain Hogan's decision and responsibility as to whether McLeod keeps his job; and hiding behind a “personnel matter'' is not going to cut it when it is the public whom these people are serving.
The public has a right to know how the matter is resolved.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 1
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 5
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child