Home » News » Public Safety
Driver who struck three children fined $1,000
DOVER — A Somersworth driver, moments before she struck three school children in a crosswalk, was sending email on her cell phone and turning down the volume on her radio, a prosecutor said.
Tiana Conlon, 35, of 15 Spruce St., was fined $1,000 and lost her license for 30 days after she was found guilty in Dover District Court of negligent driving and failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, both violations.
Conlon pleaded “no contest” to the offenses.
She was driving her Honda Element toward town on Jan. 10 when three of the four Wilson siblings, Alyssa, 16, Zach, 14, and Caleb, 10, were crossing Portland Street to the school bus stop at 6:48 a.m.
Less than two minutes earlier, Conlon responded to an email on her BlackBerry, and moments before, she looked away to turn down the volume on her radio, Dover Police Prosecutor Brian Estee said in court this morning.
In that moment, Conlon struck the children as they were walking in the crosswalk at Rogers Street, sending all three to the hospital with injuries, none considered serious.
On Monday, Conlon declined to comment to the media, but she apologized to the children's father multiple times in the hallway outside the courtroom while sobbing loudly.
The children's mother, Lori Wilson, said she was glad the maximum penalty was imposed against Conlon, and said she has not ruled out a civil suit. Her boyfriend, Matt Weeden, said they have also been talking with local legislators about strengthening the state's texting and driving laws.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate