Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester fire ruled accidental
MANCHESTER — Investigators believe the cause of Saturday night's apartment fire is accidental.
Manchester Fire Chief Robert Corbeil said Sunday the exact cause is still being determined.
“They're leaning toward an electrical malfunction,” he said.
The blaze heavily damaged the third-floor apartment at 485 Dubuque St., though none of the residents was injured.
The building was home to about 12 people, or three families, said Bruno Bartoli, the property manager.
“All three families went to the Red Cross,” Bartoli said.
Firefighters had to battle the flames, as well as high winds Corbeil said.
“We had issues with the wind,” he said.
The wind repeatedly reignited the fire, keeping firefighters hard at work to try to save the home, and the neighborhood.
The building is in a neighborhood of triple-deckers close together. Firefighters feared the flames would jump to other homes, and called in a second alarm, Corbeil said.
“That was one of our concerns,” Corbeil said.
The adjacent building on the north side sustained damage from the heat of the fire, Corbeil said, with the vinyl siding getting melted in places.
It took firefighters more than an hour to get the blaze under control, and they stayed at the scene through the night to ensure the fire stayed out.
“The guys did a great job keeping it down,” Corbeil said.
Two firefighters suffered minor injuries, Corbeil said. They were treated at the fire station, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072