Kenseth wins wild Daytona 500
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series safety crews work to put out a fire from a jet drier that was hit by driver Juan Pablo Montoya (not pictured) under caution during the Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway. The race was run on Monday for the first time in the 54-year history of the race due to rain. (Andrew Weber-US PRESSWIRE)
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Matt Kenseth won a wild Daytona 500, earning his 22nd career victory. Dale Earnhardt Jr. finished second, followed by Greg Biffle.
The race, which finished early Tuesday morning at 12:56 a.m., was suspended with 40 laps remaining after a bizarre accident when Juan Pablo Montoya’s car hit a jet dryer truck causing it to burst into flames.
The race was under caution when Montoya, with no rival car near him, lost control of his vehicle and struck the back of the truck, which is used to dry out the track and blow away debris.
A giant fireball shot up from the vehicle as the fuel in the truck ignited, though it was well away from the spectator areas. Montoya got out of his vehicle unhurt and while the truck driver was taken to the hospital he was reported to be unhurt. The race was stopped as officials sought to remove the truck and the fuel from the track.
Earlier, Jimmie Johnson and Danica Patrick were involved in a five-car crash on the second lap. The NASCAR season opener was postponed from Sunday due to rain.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840