Garnett, Rondo pace Celtics over Bucks
Kevin Garnett led all five starters in double figures with 24 points and 10 rebounds as host Boston pulled back to .500 with a 102-96 win at home over the Milwaukee Bucks that dealt a blow to Milwaukee's playoff chances.
Rajon Rondo recorded a triple-double with 15 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists for the Celtics (17-17), who have beaten the two teams chasing them for the No. 8 spot in the Eastern Conference on back-to-back nights.
Boston led by 15 points with 2:56 left in the game when it pulled the starters and Milwaukee made things interesting. A 13-0 run cut it to a one-possession game but Garnett came back into the contest and hit four free throws over the final 14.4 seconds to seal it.
The Bucks (14-21) remain in 10th place in the East.
The Celtics trailed at the half on Wednesday before taking over with 8:55 left in the third, when Brandon Bass' three-point play kicked off a 25-6 run.
Chris Wilcox had the highlight of the burst with a driving dunk and Ray Allen got into the act with a behind-the-back dribble in the lane that shed the defense and led to a layup.
NOTES: Milwaukee leading scorer Brandon Jennings did not score until the final burst at the end of the game and finished with six points on 2-for-11 shooting ... Ersan Ilyasova led the Bucks with 25 points and 10 rebounds ... Boston, which ranks last in the NBA in rebounding, got the better of the boards on Wednesday, 52-49.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Sullinger has figured out NBA schedule maker - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 1
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Inspiration personified: Plymouth State's Josh Morgan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen injured in pedestrian/car collision in Hudson - 0
- Manchester police recover shell casings in gunfire incident on Taylor Street - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 3
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 2
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 1
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840