Weare garage burns in 3-alarm blazeBy NANCY BEAN FOSTER
Union Leader Correspondent
March 01. 2012 3:54PM
WEARE - At lunchtime on Thursday, Bob Currier left his automotive-repair shop to grab a bite to eat. When he returned, the building was in flames.
Firefighters from more than a half-dozen surrounding towns joined forces with the Weare Fire Department to battle the blaze at BC Auto Repairs, 8 Martin Road, but with the snow making roads treacherous, Weare Lt. Mark Bluteau said progress was difficult.
'We're a volunteer fire department and we were out on another call when the call for this fire came in,' said Bluteau. 'By the time we got here, the building was fully involved and there wasn't much we could do.'
The first call about the fire came in just after 1 p.m., and it quickly went to a second alarm, then a third.
Route 77 was shut down and traffic diverted because of concerns that there could be explosions from the building.
'It's an industrial building so there is the potential that gas tanks or other substances could explode,' said Bluteau.
By 2:30, the fire was contained and firefighters were working on knocking down any hot spots in the building. But Currier's shop is a total loss, and only twisted metal beams could be seen through the smoke.
In addition to destroying the building, the blazed destroyed four cars - three belonging to customers and one Currier's own personal vehicle. Currier said he has no idea what sparked the blaze.
'All I know is I went to lunch, and when I came back, it was on fire,' he said.
Crews from Weare, Goffstown, Henniker, Mont Vernon, Dunbarton and other surrounding communities either helped at the scene or covered the Weare Fire Station, said Bluteau.
The closure of Route 77 created a bit of a challenge for drivers coming to and from Pat's Peak Ski Area in Henniker.
'I don't know how to get there from here,' said one woman who was driving her children to the mountain to enjoy the first real snow winter snowstorm this year. But with help from the clerks at Country Three Corners Convenience Store, she and her children found a detour.