action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:0
All Sections
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In


Police: Man who once tried to hire hitman stabbed ex-girlfriend

PEMBROKE — A Manchester man arrested last November for trying to hire a hitman to maim his ex-girlfriend is now charged with breaking into her home and assaulting and stabbing her as she slept.

Christopher Compas, 52, of 42 Russell St., was arrested Friday at his home and charged with first-degree assault, burglary, attempted arson, simple assault and violation of a protection order. He is being held on $400,000 cash bail pending arraignment Monday in Hooksett District Court.

The charges from November had been dropped by the Hillsborough County Attorney.

Now Compas is accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend's home at 1:17 a.m. on Feb. 29 and assaulting and wounding her in the chest.

Police Chief Dwayne Gilman said she received medical treatment for the injuries, which were not life-threatening, at the scene.

Before he left, Compas started a fire in a trash container in the bedroom as a diversion so he could make his escape, according to Gilman.

Last November, Compas was arrested in Manchester for allegedly trying to hire a motorcycle gang member to injure and maim his ex-girlfriend, run her husband off the road and rob and beat his business partner, who he believed had stolen from him.

Police learned of the scheme from a man they were interviewing in an unrelated case who told them Compas knew he had friends in a motorcycle gang and wanted to hire one of them to kill his ex-girlfriend, with whom he was having a custody dispute.

The tipster said he talked Compas out of killing his ex-girlfriend, but Compas then said he wanted her to end up with a scarred face and broken teeth. He also wanted her vehicle damaged, according to court documents.

Manchester police arranged for a detective to pose as a potential hitman and, with approval of the Attorney General's Office, tape-recorded discussions he had with Compas about the plans.

Hillsborough County Attorney Dennis Hogan said Monday his office decided not to seek indictments against Compas because there was "insufficient evidence" in connection with his alleged attempt to hire the gang member.

Hogan said the information on the recorded conversations, which had been approved by the Attorney General's Office, was also not sufficient to obtain a conviction.

Compas was initially charged with criminal solicitation for first-degree assault, second-degree assault and theft, and conspiracy to commit first-degree assault, second-degree assault and theft.

action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:88
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:64
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:2
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Crime

NH Angle - Crime