State officials warn brush fire danger high in NH
Firefighters across the state braced for a potentially dangerous day for brush fires after warnings of “critical” fire conditions were issued Thursday.
The National Weather Service issued an urgent Fire Weather Watch for Friday morning through early Friday evening for every county in the state except for Coos County.
Officials are warning residents against burning anything outdoors during the day.
“With the lack of rain, much of Northern New England continues to be in a dry spell. The dry conditions combined with increasingly gusty winds (Friday) up to 30 mph, as well as relative humidity values in the 20 to 30 percent range, may produce critical fire weather conditions on Friday,” the weather service statement said.
The lack of snow has left the ground dryer than usual, and has left plenty of “fuels” — twigs, branches, leaves, etc. — to feed fires.
“Any grass or brush fires that ignite could spread and become out of control rapidly,” the weather service warned.
Making things worse is the lack of a “canopy” of living plants, leaving nothing but dry fuels for brush fires.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride