Home » News » Public Safety
Man still hospitalized after near-drowning
MANCHESTER - A man whose son pulled him out of the Merrimack River after he fell into the frigid waters Saturday afternoon remains hospitalized in serious condition at Catholic Medical Center.
Wayne Trudeau, 58, whose last known address was 436 Granite St. but who police say was homeless, was drinking with friends on the banks of the river underneath the Granite Street bridge when he fell in.
He was swept almost 500 yards down river before his son, Shane Trudeau, 29, of Manchester, managed to pull him out at the boat ramp behind the Northeast Delta Dental Stadium, according to police Lt. Maureen Tessier.
She said Trudeau and others performed CPR on the father, who was later taken by ambulance to CMC.
Police continue to investigate how Wayne Trudeau ended up in the icy water, which carried him about 500 yards downstream.
District Fire Chief Al Poulin said it was a challenge getting down the steep embankment, then pulling the man back up on a gurney as EMTs continued CPR before the man could be taken to the hospital.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 3
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Garcia to air her first TV ad - 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 1
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate