Garnett powers Celtics past Jazz
Kevin Garnett scored 23 points and pulled down 10 rebounds and Brandon Bass hit some key jumpers in the fourth quarter as the host Boston Celtics pulled into a tie for first place in the Atlantic Division with a 94-82 win over Utah on Wednesday.
Paul Pierce added 20 points and Rajon Rondo handed out 14 assists for the Celtics (28-22), who are tied for the No. 4 spot in the Eastern Conference, though Philadelphia (28-22) owns the head-to-head tiebreaker.
The Jazz are locked in a three-way tie with the Houston Rockets and Denver Nuggets for the final two playoff spots in the West.
Boston grabbed the lead in the second quarter on Wednesday, doubling up Utah, 28-14, in the frame. Garnett and Pierce combined for 11 points as the Celtics took a 46-35 lead into the break.
They stretched it to 61-43 early in the third before Utah got back into it, bridging the third and fourth quarters with a 23-5 burst to knot it at 66-66 with 11:07 remaining.
Keyon Dooling hit a 3-pointer and Garnett scored to keep Boston clear. Bass, who finished with 19 points, hit back-to-back jumpers with just under four minutes left to push it back to double figures.
Gordon Hayward scored 19 points and former Celtic Al Jefferson collected 18 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Jazz.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840