Home » News » Public Safety
Suicidal man in Newport hospitalized after standoff
NEWPORT - A local man was taken to the hospital for evaluation after a two-hour standoff with police Wednesday morning on Lorraine Street.
Just before 11 a.m., police were called about a distraught man, Matthew Barrett, 19, of 16 Lorraine St., who fired a gun inside the residence and was threatening suicide, according to a police press release of the incident.
Several family members inside the home at the time the shot was fired were safely evacuated and taken to a safe location while police tried to establish communication with Barrett.
A dozen residences at Birchwood Grove in the area of William and Lorraine streets were cleared and several residents evacuated.
Police, with the help of family members, established and maintained communication with Barrett, who emerged from the residence shortly after 1 p.m. He was taken by Newport Ambulance Service, accompanied by a police officer, to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center for treatment and evaluation.
His actions remain under investigation, and criminal charges may be brought.
Assisting police at the scene were Newport Ambulance Service, state police, the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Department and the Sullivan County Attorney’s Office.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
Police say man attacked woman with sword
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072