Home » News » Public Safety
Cats saved, Londonderry townhouse damaged by fire
Fire crews from Londonderry and several surrounding towns surveyed the damage following Wednesday evening's fire at a Century Village townhouse. The fire, which is still under investigation, left much of the first floor inhabitable. No one was home when the fire broke out and firefighters were able to rescue the two resident house cats. (APRIL GUILMET)
LONDONDERRY -- The fire that gutted the first floor of a Century Village townhouse may have been caused by a malfunctioning television, officials said.
Shortly before 8:30 p.m. Wednesday evening, a neighbor called the Londonderry Fire Department after seeing flames through the window at 20 Winding Pond Road.
One hour later, the flames were extinguished but the damage was done: local fire officials said the townhouse sustained severe fire damage to the first floor, with smoke damage throughout the building.
Residents reported smelling smoke from as far away as Mammoth Road, while a cluster of curious neighbors gathered on the nearby lawn.
Londonderry Fire Chief Kevin MacCaffrie said the incident remained under investigation. Fire crews from Londonderry, Auburn and Windham assisted at the scene, while crews from Litchfield and Hudson provided mutual aid at the Londonderry fire station.
No one was injured in the blaze and homeowner Chuck England, who has lived in the condo for the past five years, wasn't home at the time of the fire.
“I was told that there was smoke coming out of my big screen TV,” a visibly shaking England said shortly after arriving on the scene. “All I know is that I didn't turn on my washer and dryer today and I didn't do any cooking tonight.”
MacCaffrie said two of the firefighters were able to rescue England's two cats, Pebbles and Bam Bam.
“Well, actually we just opened the door and one of them ran out,” MacCaffrie said. “The other one needed a bit more encouragement.”
The two frightened felines remained at large Wednesday evening, having reportedly retreated into the nearby woods.
“By the time I got here, they'd already gotten it all out,” said Jake Butler, 20, who stopped by to check on things with his father, Town Councilor Jim Butler. “They sure did a great job,” he added.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
- Manchester man dies after being hit by car - 0
- Family, pet cats and snake escape Nottingham fire - 0
- Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting - 0
- School bus slides off road, slams into trees in Deerfield - 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Bramante's 'free' education initiative gets green light - 0
- Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot - 0
- Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents - 0
- Millsfield ready to resume holding first primary vote - 0
- Rist defends his salary as interim Central principal - 0
- The Pope's anniversary: Viewing him through different lenses - 0
- Up late with Shaheen: Misplaced Senate priorities - 0
- Jindal says GOP has to 'be a party that's for something' - 0
- NH College Notebook: Bedford's Glassman first NH player into D-I dance - 0
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Roger Simon: Hillary is sick - of the media
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity