Home » Opinion » Editorials
Walking with class: Graduation policy needs revising
A Manchester school board committee is on the right track in recommending changes to the city's high school graduation policies.
Last year senior Ashley Grady earned her Memorial High School diploma through one of the school district's alternative programs. Somehow the credits did not get transferred properly by graduation day. She showed up in her cap and gown but was not allowed to walk with her classmates.
That should never happen. For one, the school district should not be that flawed administratively that it fails to account for a senior's credits by graduation day. But even if some snafu occurs, the policy should be that the senior walks and the mess is sorted out later. It is much better to risk letting a student who was shy a few credits participate in the ceremony than to deny a fully qualified graduate that special experience, which can never be repeated.
The board's Committee on Curriculum and Instruction has recommended that parents be notified of the student's graduation-credit status eight days before graduation. It also has recommended letting students walk if there is a dispute over their eligibility. Both are good changes.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hassan’s falsehoods: Does she even care about the truth? - 20
- Tax credit math: Who owns your money? - 10
- Voter restrictions: Who will govern us? - 26
- School board papers: Beaudry gets left behind - 1
- Data overreach Are programs really justified? The weak case for PRISM. - 12
- A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely - 8
- Border security? Maybe, some day, perhaps. Or not - 35
- Priority profs: University system tops HHS - 5
- Recognizing father: Not PC, but still OK - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 27
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off