Jays’ Gose steals one from Sox
Former Fisher Cats All-Star Anthony Gose stole second, third and home to beat the Red Sox, 3-2, at JetBlue Park in Fort Myers on Thursday, lifting the Blue Jays to a franchise-record 22nd win of the spring. Gose, who stole 70 bases for Double-A New Hampshire last season, caught the Red Sox sleeping as catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia lobbed the ball back to pitcher Justin Thomas in the eighth inning.
Gose, slated to begin the year at Triple-A Las Vegas, drew a walk off Thomas and eventually scored with two outs, stealing his fourth base of the game. Toronto starting pitcher Drew Hutchison, who will likely lead New Hampshire’s rotation beginning next week, pitched four innings and held the Red Sox to four hits and one run. The 21-year-old Gose leads the Blue Jays with seven stolen bases in the Grapefruit League.
“I never saw anybody steal second, third and home in the same inning in my career,” Blue Jays manager John Farrell told mlb.com. “He is obviously exciting. He can take over on the basepaths. He has a combination of pure speed, plus the ability to read some things. You just turn him loose. He’s a pure basestealer.”
Boston starter Alfredo Aceves looked strong, allowing only three hits and one earned run through six innings. David Ortiz honored and Ryan Sweeney drove in a run for the Sox.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 4
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840