Conditions favor fishermen for opening day
LACONIA — Ken Eldridge at Martel's Bait and Sport shop said he expects the Winnipesaukee River to be lined with fishermen early this morning.
Lake trout and landlocked salmon season begins at dawn today, and the fact the waters are open at this date is a bit of an historic anomaly.
He noted that salmon like water to be about 40 degrees, and the river temperature is already 48 degrees.
“People have been getting more anxious about the fishing season, realizing that all the water is open now,” he said.
While some are concerned that such a warm winter and lack of melting snowpack might affect fish spawning, Eldridge noted that a very minimal ice fishing season may mean there are more fish in the water.
Rain would be helpful, and April is known for its showers.
This year, ice-out occurred on March 22, about a month earlier than usual.
In 2010, ice-out occurred March 24, and Eldridge recalled it as a particularly good fishing year.
Martel's has been selling lots of shiners, suckers and night crawlers, he said, and he noted that he just registered his boat.
“Normally, I don't do that for another month or so,” he said.
New Hampshire Fish and Game Department officials said because of the smaller snowpack, river flows should also be excellent for early April fishing.
“The mild winter kept ice-fishing pressure low, and this will likely translate to better opportunities for the open-water angler,” said Don Miller, a Fish and Game biologist.
Fish and Game manages 15 lakes for landlocked salmon: Big Dan Hole Pond, First and Second Connecticut Lakes, Conway Lake, Lake Francis, Merrymeeting Lake, Newfound Lake, Ossipee Lake, Big and Little Squam Lakes, Sunapee Lake, Lake Winnipesaukee, Winnisquam Lake and Nubanusit Lake.
Pleasant Lake in New London is also managed for landlocked salmon, but is classified as a trout pond, with a 2012 opening date of April 28.
Annual resident fishing licenses are $35. Resident one-day licenses are $10. Annual nonresident fishing licenses are $53.
One-, three- and seven-day nonresident licenses are also available.
Licenses can be purchased online at fishnh.com or from any Fish and Game license agent.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 1
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 3
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride