Monarchs bow to Bridgeport, 3-2, in overtime
Rhett Rakhshani scored 1:45 into overtime to give the host Bridgeport Sound Tigers a 3-2 win over the Manchester Monarchs Sunday afternoon in an AHL game in Bridgeport, Conn.
Sunday's overtime loss coupled with Saturday's win gave the Monarchs three of four possible points over the weekend and moved their point total for the season to 76. Manchester is currently holding on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The Portland Pirates are in ninth at 73 points. Manchester has five games remaining in the regular season.
The Sound Tigers have won five straight games and improved to 37-24-3-6 overall. The Monarchs fell to 36-31-1-3.
Rakhshani hit a one-time blast that beat Monarchs goalie Jeff Zatkoff (35 saves). Bridgeport was on a 4-on-3 power play in overtime after Monarch Thomas Hickey was whistled for a cross check.
The Sound Tigers struck first with 1:30 left in the opening period. Trevor Frischmon found Matt Donovan coming out of the penalty box and sent him in alone for his 10th goal of the season.
Trent Hunter evened the score early in the second period on a Monarchs power play.
John Persson put the Sound Tigers ahead 2-1 with 4:39 left in the second period on a wraparound shot.
Manchester made it two goals apiece 2:12 into the final period when Jake Muzzin's shot deflected out front and found its way home. Manchester had 17 shots in the third period but could come up with just the one goal in the frame.
Kevin Poulin made 33 saves for the Sound Tigers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs roll up their sleeves for Game 4 - 0
- Jones, Monarchs stay alive with Game 3 win - 0
- Monarchs in must-win situation Thursday night in Manchester - 0
- Second close loss in two days puts Monarchs in 0-2 playoff hole - 0
- Monarchs edged in overtime in playoff opener - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Hockey: Trying to stay on a roll - 1
- Monarchs complete amazing late-season surge to clinch playoff spot - 1
- Monarchs vault into playoff position - 0
- On Hockey: Monarchs need one final playoff push - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Moving Wall in Haverhill asks us to remember
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name