Home » News » Public Safety
Claremont mayor won’t be charged after pedestrian struck
CLAREMONT - Mayor James Nielsen, the operator of a 2011 Ford 150 pickup truck that hit a pedestrian Sunday night on Main Street, will not be charged in connection with the crash, according to police Sgt. Stan Andrewski.
Investigators, he said, ruled out speed and alcohol as factors on Nielsen’s part. Andrewski would not comment on whether or not the pedestrian, Jeffrey Batease, 32, of Claremont, had been drinking.
Nielsen, 58, was driving south on Main Street when he hit Batease, police said.
The crash happened just before 7 p.m. on Main Street, west of the Main Street Mobil station and east of the Coca-Cola plant.
Batease suffered serious injuries and was taken by ambulance to Valley Regional Hospital and then transported by DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. He is expected to recover.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 1
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 1
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'