All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Police say shooting suspect told them: 'I'm going away for life'

New Hampshire Union Leader

April 04. 2012 11:43PM
Myles Webster of Litchfield, right, sits with his public defender, Robert Swales, at a probable cause hearing at Manchester District Court on Wednesday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)

MANCHESTER - With a bullet in his left leg and lying on his back, police officer Dan Doherty fired 10 shots at his potential killer, authorities said Wednesday as details of the March 21 shooting emerged in a Manchester courtroom.

Doherty and Litchfield resident Myles Webster exchanged 23 shots at the West Side intersection, police said.

Webster was arrested shortly afterward; Doherty remains at Catholic Medical Center recovering from his wounds.

According to court records, Doherty suffered multiple fractures to his left tibia, a bone located in the lower leg, and his pelvis, or hip. The 25-year-old suffered a laceration of the sigmoid colon and a 'through and through' hole to the iliac vein, which drains blood from the pelvis and lower limbs.

A police detective who took the stand said physicians have not been able to determine the exact number of times Doherty was hit by a bullet.

The court also unsealed an affidavit that gives other details of events leading up to the shooting.

A hearing was held in Manchester District Court to determine whether authorities have enough evidence to pursue charges against Webster.

The courtroom was packed with Manchester police officers. Also in attendance: Laura Briggs, the widow of slain Manchester police officer Michael Briggs.

During testimony, Detective Patrick Houghton said Doherty reported that during his foot pursuit of Myles Webster, he was nearly close enough to tackle him.

At that point, Webster turned and fired what's believed to be a .357 Glock. With the officer on the ground, Webster advanced on him and kept firing until the gun was empty.

Thirteen .357 shells were recovered from Wayne and Rimmon streets.

Meanwhile, Doherty unholstered his .40-caliber service revolver.

'He was able to return fire,' said Houghton.

Houghton said Webster had been driving in the West Side with companions shortly before the shooting. They described him as extremely emotional and aggressive.

Were he to return to prison, it would be for life, Webster told them. And he said he 'would take out a cop if a cop ever came to arrest him,' Houghton testified.

At Granite Square, Webster fired a shot out the window, and police later found a .357 shell there. Then at McGregor Square, Webster left the vehicle and appeared to be reaching for the front of his waistband.

Two officers in an unmarked car saw Webster, believed he was carrying a weapon and called for patrol units to investigate. That call brought Doherty to the area.

After the shooting, Webster fled. He was apprehended nearby by police Sgt. Joe Mucci.

Police later combed the area and found the Glock, as well as an inside-the-pants holster.

Doherty later saw Webster's booking photo; he was certain that was the man who shot him.

Meanwhile, when Webster was being booked, he told police: 'You might as well kill me. . . . I'm going away for life,' Houghton said.

Despite waiving his Miranda rights, Webster refused to answer pointed questions and said he did not recall the evening's incidents.

District Court Judge Gregory Michael ruled probable cause had been found to bind Webster over to the Hillsborough County North grand jury.

The prosecution has 90 days to indict Webster, although an extension can be sought for good cause.

Meanwhile, prosecutors dropped a charge of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle against Webster's friend, Jennifer Whitfield.

Whitfield, 35, of 241 Lowell St., had told police she knew Webster for about three weeks before the shooting.

She and two friends had driven Webster to the West Side, where he had exited the vehicle and was chased shortly afterward by Doherty.

Crime Manchester Top Section Stories

More Headlines