Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Khudobin steps in and steps up for Bruins
Anton Khudobin made a career-high 44 saves in his season debut as Boston posted its fifth consecutive road victory, 3-1, over the Ottawa Senators.
Khudobin went 4-1-0 in six games over two seasons with Minnesota before being acquired by Boston in February 2011.
Benoit Pouliot, defenseman Greg Zanon and Milan Lucic scored for the Northeast Division-champion Bruins, who are 6-1-1 over their last eight overall contests. They have won 14 of their last 17 visits to Ottawa.
Boston got on the board midway through the first period on Pouliot's 16th goal. After carrying the puck down the right wing during a 2-on-1 rush, Pouliot received a return pass from Brian Rolston and converted near the right post for his second tally in as many games.
Zanon made it 2-0 less than four minutes into the second with a one-timer from the left point. It was his first goal in 16 games with the Bruins after being acquired from Minnesota.
Jason Spezza halved the deficit with just over six minutes remaining in the session, beating Khudobin with a wrist shot from the top of the slot for his career high-tying 34th goal. But Lucic scored from the inner edge of the left faceoff circle with 4:33 left in the third to restore the Bruins' two-goal advantage.
Ben Bishop stopped 24 shots for the Senators, who lost four of their final five home games. The Senators need one point in their season finale Saturday in New Jersey - or losses from Florida or Washington - to clinch seventh place in the Eastern Conference and a first-round meeting with the Bruins.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston's Torey Krug recorded his first career point in his second NHL game with an assist on Lucic's goal. ... Pouliot is one tally away from his career high set in 2009-10 with Minnesota and Montreal. ... Boston finished 25-15-1 on the road this season. ... The Senators went 22-15-4 at Scotiabank Place. ... Ottawa has lost nine of its last 10 meetings with the Bruins.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 2
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child