Home » News » Public Safety
Woman burned, home destroyed by two-alarm fire
FREMONT - A woman who suffered serious burns remained hospitalized in Boston Saturday after a mobile home fire that was likely sparked a candle, fire officials said.
The two-alarm blaze destroyed the home at 217 Main St. and burned the 66-year-old victim before she was able to escape.
“She had some pretty significant burns to her face and head,” Fire Chief Rick Butler said.
The woman, whose name hasn't been released, was treated at the scene and transported to Exeter Hospital by Raymond Ambulance. Butler said she was later flown by medical helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital Friday night.
The fire broke out around 7:30 p.m. at the residence next to the former Rowe's gas station. The property is owned by Richard Maloof, but Butler said he believes the woman's boyfriend rents the mobile home.
Police Sgt. Jason Larochelle said the woman was outside the home being helped by a passerby when he arrived.
"She was out by the road trying to flag people down,” Larochelle said.
Neighbor Carl Juliano said he was sitting in his dining room when he saw the flames and noticed embers falling on the roof of his house.
“It went up really quickly,” he said.
Juliano went outside and saw the victim, who was being assisted by others. “She was freaked out,” he said.
Butler said the fire started at the front of the home. The state fire marshal's office was called in to assist in the investigation. Butler said it appears the fire was caused by a candle, but that at this point he hasn't been able to talk to the victim to determine exactly what happened.
“It was fully involved when I got here,” Butler said, adding that the home is a total loss.
The fire was knocked down quickly. Most firefighters left the scene by 11 p.m. Fremont firefighters were assisted by crews from Epping, Raymond and Sandown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- AG petitions judge to remove Rockingham County attorney from office - 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus