Home » News » Public Safety
Couple treated for CO exposure
SOMERSWORTH — An elderly couple was taken to the hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide from a defective oil burner Friday morning.
Firefighters responded to 179 Green St. at 10:08 a.m. and found high levels of the odorless, colorless and dangerous gas in the home, according to fire Capt. Marc Vaillancourt.
Vaillancourt said firefighters measured levels at more than 200 parts per million inside the home, which far exceeds the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's permissible exposure limit of 50 parts per million during an eight-hour period.
“It was pretty high,” Vaillancourt said, adding no firefighters were affected by the gas as they wore protective equipment inside the home.
Vaillancourt said firefighters advised the man and the women to have their furnace serviced as they were transported to the hospital by American Medical Response personnel. He would not release their ages or identities.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 2
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax